April 1, 2012

Ginowan Tropical Beach

Ginowan Tropical Beach in Ginowan, Okinawa. 

I couldn't sleep the night before I took these photos, so I figured I'd get up early enough to see the sunrise.

After I got to the beach I learned that a) it was temporarily closed because the Okinawa International Movie Festival was being held nearby, and b) you cannot see the sunrise on this side of the mountain. Evidence of both in the above photo.

I comforted myself by walking in the water, orange cones be damned.

This lasted until a security guard came by. He didn't seem to be big into policing; he was more concerned that I was unaware of one of the dangers of the beach. Apparently, they contain jellyfish! He made sure I wasn't stung, and politely suggested that I get out of the ocean. 

Immediately afterward, I started talking to an old man who was doing exercises nearby. For those in the know, the trick is to enter the beach from an angle invisible to the guards.

He proceeded to prove his point. He must have been fairly freezing, though.

I may have missed out on seeing the sunrise, but I still got to see this. The area all around was as calm as it looks in this photo.

No comments: