September 10, 2013

Venice Beach Boardwalk

I'd never been to Venice Beach before, but I'd seen it immortalized in music videos and movies. Despite not really knowing much about the area, I realized I could tell where it was supposed to be by the mustard yellows and ketchup reds that make up the Venice Beach color palette. 

It's said that Venice Beach is the artsy, more hippie cousin to the comparatively affluent Santa Monica Beach.

I wasn't surprised by the outlandishness of the boardwalk, but I was surprised by the obvious seediness of the area. For a place that seems to welcome the whole family, it doesn't seem especially safe.

People in Yoyogi Park in Tokyo have the exact same pastime, but of course American bubbles are bigger.

There was a smattering of these on the boardwalk.

No comments: