November 21, 2008

Drawing and Manual Arts Education

My packrat grandmother has had this box for over 45 years, a toolbox that was required for my father's drawing and manual arts class in elementary school. The basic contents:

I'm guessing the wrench and the blue plastic plus driver are new additions, but the rest is all still in place. In this age of overprotective parents and cautious children, it's slightly refreshing to think of 10-year-olds using handsaws for arts and crafts, the general assumption being that they would know how to handle them in a responsible manner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
My first time writing in your blog with my awkward English.
That old toolbox represents japanese "mottainai" spirits!
And my hands can't hold it to see those tools!('cause I study mechanical engineering in university )